In 1995, Wendy and Dave had a thriving adult concert ministry. One of her most popular songs for adults and kids was “Jonah”, which appeared on her Wendy James CD but was a kids song. Inspired by feedback from “Jonah” and her work writing songs for a children’s television show pilot, Wendy felt the Lord directing her to write a songs for kids. In early 2000, she completed the project, titled Wendy & the James Gang – KIDS I – God Loves You , which features 11 exciting pop/rock/swing songs written to appeal not only to kids 2-12, but also their parents and grandparents, including fan favorite “Run devil Run”. A new generation of kids are singing and loving these songs.
During this time, the family felt God calling them to full-time ministry. Dave left the corporate finance world and the family formed Wendy & the James Gang, focused on full-time evangelism to kids and families. Wendy & Dave were inspired to join forces with Orlando and Nashville experts to create an original musical theatre outreach production for kids and parents. This original theatre production, called “God Loves You” was an outreach event that brought the gospel message to communities and churches nationwide and internationally.
- In March of 2000, the family began touring coast to coast, home schooling Zac and Ben, while living in an RV (pulling a 25′ trailer).
- In 2002, they completed a 6 week, 41 show evangelistic mission tour of South Africa where they presented “God Loves You” and shared the Gospel with over 20,000 kids in their schools, as well as in many churches with thousands of decisions made for Christ.
- In 2003, Wendy wrote and recorded “Kids II – Song of the King”, which is also the soundtrack for the Wendy & the James Gang show “Song of the King“.
- In 2004, “God Loves You” was retired.
- In 2005, Wendy & the James Gang created and began performing 2 additional shows: “Secret Agent Man” (using the Kids I CD as the soundtrack) and “Backstage Pass”, which was a worship concert. These three shows combined to form “KingdomRock Live”, a major 3 day event, complete with video backdrops, professional lighting and more.
- Wendy had the leading singing and acting roles in all of the Wendy & the James Gang shows, playing the Mom in “God Loves You”, “Serena” in “Song of the King” and “Agent Samantha (Sam) Book” in “Secret Agent Man” and herself in “Backstage Pass”.
- Wendy & the James Gang retired from road shows in 2008. The ministry of Wendy & the James Gang continues through music and other activities.